Thursday, November 6, 2008

feeling many things

No matter who you supported in this election, we would all have to agree that it was a momentous one. With an African-American heading one ticket and a woman in the 2nd seat on the other, it was definitely turning out to be history-making. But for me it was more than that. When Barack Obama came to my city before he had even clinched the Democratic nomination I took the Muss to see him. I wanted her to be a part of the history being made. We are a very overlooked speck on the map politically. A Red State in the middle of the country that almost never turns Blue. Plus, only 5 electoral votes so no one really cares about us. We are far from being one of the coveted "swing states" so the fact that he came here was enough to get me off the sofa.

While he was definitely an excellent speaker and drew a packed crowd, I saw more in him. He really believes what he says. He really wants to make the United States and the world a better place. He does not seem to be pandering to any particular group of people. He is for the underdog. He is the underdog.

From that moment I became a believer in his mission.

Then after the big conventions, the real campaign began. And it got ugly. I was really afraid that the fear the other side was spreading was going to smother the hope that Obama was trying to give us. Then from the fear came the lies, the misconstruing of everything said, the pundits and their pundittiness, blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc. GAWWWW, make it stop.

Then it stopped. Finally.

And I really do feel like it is the dawn of a new day. I am not naive enough to believe that this will heal all the wounds, but I do believe that it is a start. A great, big start. I don't believe President-Elect Obama can fix all that ails in our country on January 21st or even in a year, let alone a term. We have much to fix. What has sunken us to a new low from the past 8 years of whatever you call the past 8 years will take some time to get past.

However, I believe that he told the truth throughout his campaign. I was reassured by his calmness during the chaos. By the way he stood tall and strong while others tried to knock him down with all they could muster. He smiled that warm smile and touched the hearts and minds of the masses.

Now let's move on, the people have spoken. Get over it, FoxNews.

No comments: